Leftovers are the easiest thing to reheat and there’s not a single person that doesn’t likes them. But, you should probably know that reheating the meals is pretty harmful for your body, some foods when reheated can damage your health, according to experts.
Eating reheated foods can harm the health and that is why you need to avoid doing it so, especially these 4 leftovers:
Reheating the vegetables or storing them improperly can be fatal for your body. The Center for Food Safety says that almost most of the leftovers of vegetables need to be stored at -40C and if you really nneed to store the vegetables for longer period of time, then freezing them would be the best idea. Lettuce, celery, beets and spinach have pretty high levels of nitrates that accumulate if the vegetables are exposed to a room temperature higher than the one recommended. Nitrate can cause a rare blood disorder in younger people which is called Methemoglobinemia, which causes symptoms like shortness of breath, fatigue and seizures.
Reheating the meals that are prepared with vegetable oils is also very dangerous and it’s linked to an increased risk of stroke, cancer and heart disease. The reheating of polyunsaturated oils that contain the linoleic acid (sunflower oil, corn oil and canola) which releases the HNE (4-hydroxy- trans-2-nonenal) which is a toxin from the fatty acids that might harm your health. It has been linked to some types of cancer, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, heart disease and liver problems. The vegetable oil should be used only once and NO MORE!
Chicken contains high level of protein and when reheated, it’s composition alters to more dangerous one. Reheating cold chicken is allowed if the meat inside is very hot. It is important if you use microwave as it most of the times does not heat the meals evenly. The chicken meat can be eaten for up to two days, not a second more.
If you want to stay healthy, you should also store the rice properly. According to the Food Standard Agency, the rice that is uncooked contains spores of harmful bacteria that survive the 1st cooking process. If it is mostly stored at room temperature, the spores multiply itself and cause many digestive problems. These spores can survive the reheating process. That is why it is recommended to eat it all you have cooked at once. If you want to eat the leftovers (if there are any) better freeze it, instead of keeping it for tomorrow in the fridge.